Monday, August 5, 2013

Bronchoscopy

E had her bronch this morning and did so well.  She was super sweet and snugly afterwards as she was coming out of anesthesia.  

When he was finished, Dr. R came out and told us he saw a lot of thick mucus secretions in her lower airways.  It was more than he expected to see in someone her age.  While having thick and sticky mucus in the airways is a common CF problem, it is not common to have this much so soon.  So he suggested increasing her CPT and starting Pulmozyme .  The Pulmozyme is an inhaled medication that will help break up and thin the mucus, making it easier for her to get rid of.  So our new daily routine will consist of 3 vest treatments,1 neb treatment of Pulmozyme, and albuterol 1-2 times a day.  I'm going to have to get very creative to keep this kid still long enough to get it all done!  Too bad she doesn't like to watch TV yet.

I have mixed emotions after this morning.  I wasn't really expecting to hear that there was anything abnormal going on.  I figured he would get a sample, send it off to the lab and then tell us in a few days that there's nothing growing in her lungs and I need to quit overreacting to every little cough she has!  

I'm a worrier.  I can't help it.  And I never know if my worrying is warranted or if I'm just a crazy overprotective mom who needs to chill out and let her kid cough in peace!  But apparently this time it was good to be the crazy overprotective mom that calls the CF clinic way too much and asks a million questions.  Because we found out something with the bronchoscopy that we wouldn't have otherwise known.  Normally our clinic doesn't start Pulmozyme until 2 years old.  So now that we know she needs it, she can start it early and hopefully start feeling better.

We'll find out later this week if there is any bacteria in there that needs to be treated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment