Monday, November 5, 2012

Things I've Learned So Far

1. Never Assume Anything - When we first got here, the nurse was asking me a bunch of questions and getting her medical history, list of medications, etc.  Then he asked if she had any chronic conditions...I was confused and assumed he meant anything OTHER than CF.  But luckily Ryan spoke up and mentioned the CF because he didn't know that part.  I learned pretty quickly that not everyone knows what's going on with her and I need to be very specific about everything!

2. Speak Up - This is along the same lines as not assuming things, but if something looks off or you think they missed something, don't be afraid to speak up.  There have been a few times when I've had to remind them to get the results of her labs before giving another dose of medicine.  

3. Get Out Every Once In Awhile - Two weeks is way too long to be stuck in a room.  Sometimes we'll go for a walk around the hospital or out to get some fresh air.  I think E likes the change of scenery.  If she was a little older we would need to get out a lot more but right now she's pretty content most of the time.

4. I'm Not Doing Her CPT Hard Enough - I really feel like I put a lot of muscle into it but after seeing them do her CPT here I'm pretty sure I could do better!

5. Nurses are Angels - I really believe it takes a special person to be a nurse.  We have had so many wonderful nurses this past week and they are always so sweet to E.  They have made this whole situation easier on us, making sure we have everything we need.  I'm pretty sure if I was at work for 12 hours a day I would not be in as good of a mood as they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment